Monday 11 August 2008

Life's lessons can come in strange ways

Yesterday we were asked to look into a house swap (Housing Association) with another family - they want a 2 bed, we want a 3 bed - perfect. Or so you'd think. Firstly the house is on the 'quiet end' of the most notorious road in our town (although to be fair, we love in such a wonderful place, its better than most others). It was also mid terrace - not the end of the world, but I've always lived in semis. It was rendered in grey concrete stuff too. No actual car parking, and the front door is a long way down an alley, so the back garden was turned into a drive. Ok fair enough, not a good start, but we really NEED a bigger house, so I was prepared to go in and if it was ok, we'd consider it. Bear in mind that after I got the phone cal, I spent every waking hour (about 12) cleaning and tidying for them to look round, and my house wasn't that bad to start with.

Was a bit surprised when we got there and all the curtains were shut. The entire house. There was stuff everywhere. Walls bright red, kitchen falling off the wall, stuff soaking in the bath, and generally grimy. The people were nice though. Just couldn't understand why you wouldn't at least try and make the house look its best to try and persuade people to swap with you.

But it taught us an important lesson - yes, our house may be too small for the 4 of us, and there are things that could be a lot better, but OMG they could be SO much worse. We got home to our light, clean(ish), tidy(ish) house, and realised how lucky we are. We love our house.

I think the whole experience was worth it for us to realise how lucky we are.

And my Studio Calico kit just arrive, and I'm about to go an see my best friends new baby, so I'm feeling pretty good about the world right now.

Been trying to teach Ruth about counting her blessings, and seems like doing the same has really shone a light in here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment